Software Engineering Manager
Why is this job for you?
We are focused on discovering new patterns in big data. These pattern discoveries will significantly and positively impact people lives. Our initial work is in the biomedical space, focusing on identifying the patterns related to breast cancer, lung cancer, and other diseases such as Chron’s disease. This job is for you because we are taking on what has been viewed as an intractable problem. We learn daily from each other in the space of mathematics, machine learning, data science, bioinformatics and biology, with each of our experts working at or beyond the state of the art. Learning, sharing ideas, and synthesizing information is our passion. Making a positive impact by combining leading-edge research with emerging technologies is our mission. That’s why we are here. We’ll take on additional domains such as finance, transportation, energy, etc. as time and resources allow.
You are well suited for this job because you are an experienced software engineering manager leading multiple projects concurrently. You have led teams through difficult challenges through key milestones and have delivered quality results. You have high standards, measure progress, improve the processes, and ask key questions. People say that you lead from behind, inspiring others to find their own solutions through leading questions and your insights based on your own experience. You take pride in seeing others develop their coding skills, implementing design and code reviews, assessing system performance, and developing leadership skills. You inspire a strong team dynamic of working collaboratively towards a common goal. Most of all, you want to lead a team that’s breaking new ground with important work that will positively impact people’s lives. You want to understand how the work is done and advance the state of the art.
- Gain a deep understanding and embrace key pattern discovery technologies and mathematical algorithms.
- Together with the leadership team, define the engineering roadmap, required resources, and timelines.
- Work with your direct reports on their engineering development plans. Understand their strengths and areas for development. Assign work appropriate for their abilities with stretch goals to challenge them.
- Lead your integrated software and hardware development team through development cycles, defining the key metrics by which performance will be measured (features, quality, scaling, performance, etc.). Enable the team to take pride in their accomplishments and help them assess areas of improvement through constructive feedback.
- Expand your own abilities by learning some of the adjacent areas in which you are working on such as machine learning, bioinformatics, biology, or future areas of pattern discovery.
- Participate in the company’s roadmap planning, key areas of research, investment, and aspirational thinking.
- B.S. (with at least 7 years’ experience) or masters (with at least 5 years’ experience) in Computer Engineering, Computer Science or directly related field.
- Experience writing production code, current working knowledge of C++.
- Experience writing and optimizing code for parallel execution strongly preferred.
- Successful end-end ownership (either as the software development engineer or software development manager) of at least three product cycles where you owned a product or a major feature set of a product where quality, performance and scalability were key metrics.
- Excellent negotiation skills to find the best solution to difficult problems.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills for coordinating across internal and external teams.
- 3 years experience in writing, tuning, and understanding machine learning algorithms including decision trees, partitioning data spaces, topological data analysis and/or clustering strategies.
- B.S. (with at least 10 years’ experience) or masters (with at least 7 years’ experience) in Computer Engineering, Computer Science or directly related field.
- Python or R programming experience.
- FPGA programming experience.
This position reports to our Chief Technology Officer.
It is located in Redmond, Washington
Travel is minimal, less than 25%
Relocation Seattle area is required within 45 days of hire date.
Pattern Computer is an equal-opportunity employer
Is this right for you? Send us an e-mail at [email@example.com](mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org)